Thursday, October 23, 2008

Surprises

This morning started with a surprise, but not a good one. After I came downstairs from feeding Toby at 5:30, I turned on the video monitor to be sure that everyone was still asleep. Ayden was awake, but laying still and being quiet, so I thought we would just go back to sleep again. When I went up to get all of them at 7:00, he was laying very still, but had puked all over himself and his bed. This is the very first time for this - he is three and a half and has never thrown up until this morning. I know, we are very blessed with good health! He was rather confused about the whole thing, but bless his heart didn't get upset. I told him that if that ever happens again to call me and I will come get him and clean him up. I felt terrible! After he got up, it happened again and this time it really upset him.
I think it was something he ate last night...no fever and he seems to be fine now. We'll see though.
It made me think how grateful I am that I don't know what each day is going to hold. If I had known what I was going to find when I went upstairs, I would have had time to have a bad attitude about it. When things just come at me as surprises, I don't have a chance to dread them. I can just take care of it and move on. I am not really a reactor - I am pretty even keeled, so this works for me.
So what will the rest of the day bring? Who knows, but it is good to know that I do have a constant in God, who will hold me up through all the the uncertainties and surprises that this life brings.

No comments: